Well, after a strong deliberation on my part, I have learnt finally that life doesn't always have to be like a road runner - honking and zooming off to the oblivion. It takes only few small steps to add the purposeful zing to your life - and yes, one of them is literally, to stop and smell the flowers.
Know this: everything will be accomplished -- all the books will be straightened on the shelves, the floor will get cleaned -- but, the stress you put on yourself by thinking about all the things that need to be done, cannot be reversed, and as with anything negative -- it will keep attracting to itself more of those things. When you see yourself as going on that path - stop and take a deep breath!!
Ok, here are my quick tips to ease off when you start getting that overwhelming feeling of moving a mountain:
- Relax, take a deep breath and sit down
- Take a note pad and pencil or your blackberry or your laptop and write down your chores
- Divide the list into types of chores, eg. you can lump laundry, grocery and dusting into house, manicure - haircut - putting lotion into personal, and so on...(By developing categories, you will have a clear sense of what truly you have on your hand)
- Then, just put achievable target dates of completion next to the categories, and yes, these dates can be ranges as opposed to specific numbers
- Print it and put it on the fridge so you have your eye and mind on it
- Go ahead, treat yourself then and convert chore into chore - a la McD style : )