Friday, June 4, 2010

Driving around on Memorial Day

For the memorial day weekend, I went to VA for my nephew's first birthday. Please note, the usage of 'I' as opposed to 'we' because Kartik did not go with me. He was at home studying for his exam (CFA) and so he needed to stay back and crunch those monster problems!

Well, not that I went alone. Ofcourse, there was my family, my sister and her family and my aunt and her daughter who recently came from India. We drove there so I had a good time - actually I always have a good time on road trips. We talked, passed around chatpata snacks to each other, then talked some more with our mouths full, drank coke, dozed off a bit, stopped over to freshen was fun.

When we finally reached my cousin's house, we felt relieved because now we could lay down and relax. So, after chit chatting for a while, all of us ran upstairs to grab our respective sleeping spaces. Mom and me got a springy bed, which really sprang us up and down all night. Not that bad - we did get some decent sleep. The party was the next day and it was a lot of fun. The party was held at my sister in-law's friend's mansion, yeah, mansion, it was huge and beautiful. We played games, and met new people. Mostly all had very young kids so the conversations were very basic, at least from my side, and then something or the other had to be changed for their babies, so they had to take a leave. It was only 8pm and I was already hungry, so I walked around acting busy, taking pictures (yeah, I was the official photographer of the party...yeayy) trying to divert my mind off food. Then I was told the food was served, I placed my camera on the a side table and ran like never before...ok, kidding, just walked swiftly towards the food area.

The night passed by nicely and we were ready to take leave. I packed my camera, bade farewell, and was off to  my cousin's house. When all of us reached there, we again joked, chit-chatted for an hour or so and then it was time to sleep on the spring...bed that is. The next day we had to get up early because it was Memorial Day and we had to leave to beat the traffic. Long story short, we did not and were stuck in the stop and go traffic on NJ Turnpike (oh, NJ Turnpike, I despise you soo much). Instead of 5 hours, it took us 9 hours to get home. Papa had to drop me on the way back, so I asked him, mom, my aunt and her daughter to stay at my place, unless they were interested to deal with 4 more hours of traffic.

So, yeah, Memorial Day was spent on the road, behind endless cars with their flashing break lights. It was irritating, tiring and plain boring. But as long as I had my family there and chatpata snack to pass around, who cares!


ps. Chatpata means spicy

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails