Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Did You Know

Back in the days of zero internet (can't believe I survived then) I relied heavily on books and encyclopedia to quieten my curious mind. I just had to know if UFO's were real or for that matter, what really were UFOs. I had to understand the Bermuda's Triangle and how it swallowed ships and planes like they were some rare candy. I had to know what was the capital of Ethiopia.

I remember once Shikha, ma, papa and I had gone for dinner at papa's friend's place and this friend had a son and a daughter. I was probably nine years old then and Shikha eight. As was customary, Shikha and I had to be polite (ahem, all those etiquette teachings from mom) and had to strike up pleasant conversations with our new found 'friends' while the adults enjoyed their conversations on 'grown up' topics. I can't remember their names, but the brother-sister duo took us to their room to show us their toys and prized possessions. I remember going 'ho-hum...how boring' until the boy walked towards me with a stack of books titled 'Did You Know'. This was a series of Why, How and When, and I was just smitten. I mean how could I resist such delicious pieces of information. I gave back this huge smile and grabbed the first book at the top of the stack...slumped myself in their chair and got lost in the 'Did You Know -How' edition. It was awesome -- I can still feel the joy I felt on discovering that there were others like me who reveled in the comfort of books.

So, keeping the flame of curiosity burning, I would love to share with you some random Did You Knows ...
  • Dolphins nap with one eye open and ants don't sleep
  • The glue on Israeli stamps is certified kosher
  • The original name for the butterfly was flutterby
  • 25% of your bones are located in your feet
  • Fortune cookies were actually invented in America n 1918 by Charles Jung
  • The University of Alaska stretches over 4 times zones
  • Kleenex tissues were originally used as filters in gas masks
  • A snail can sleep for three years
  • The Bible is most shoplifted book in the world

Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails